Friday, November 24, 2006

Exclusive Brethren = Christians?

I read a pretty depressing news article on the BBC today as I tried to summon up the motivation to work having read about just how badly England are doing at cricket. The article is about a resignation of a politician in New Zealand over his involvement with a sect called the Exclusive Brethren, supposedly a Christian sect. The story is here.

It depresses me that such people claim to be Christian, yet what is a Christian? It is someone who believes in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, and follows Him. Now to follow Jesus is not to actively go against Jesus' teachings and words. So: according to the box describing them, they don't associate with the outside world. How does that square with Jesus' Great Commission? In Matthew chapter 28 verse 19 Jesus says "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". I can't think quickly enough before I really should get on with my work about their ruling that voting is illegal. Jesus said in Mark chapter 12 verse 17 "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's", i.e. don't disassociate with the state, engage with it. Further, Peter, one of the Apostles, wrote that Christians should "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men". This command doesn't seem to include bribing officials.

Anyhow, I shouldn't go on. All men are sinful, Christians no less. So in fact I shouldn't sit here writing this blog about how bad other Christians are when I should be doing my work. I'm thankful however that there is a God who forgives man's sins through Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 3:18a - For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home